Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday Obsessions: David/Mary Margaret, the Breaking Dawn Soundtrack, and Chanukah!



(Before we begin: a Special "Hiiiiii!" and hugs to my new followers! You are amazing. Yep! YOU.)


Everything I was obsessed with this week. 
Because I know you want to know.

1. David and Mary Margaret from "Once Upon a Time." Don't groan. If you follow this blog, you're gonna hear about these two in more than one Friday Obsessions post. Just go with it. Let the awesomeness sweep over you.

I've decided that in an alternate universe David/Prince Charming is my boyfriend and Mary Margaret/Snow White is my bestie. (Yes, I know it might get complicated. That's okay.) He's so gorgeous! (Watch his lips move. Juuuust watch 'em.) She's so adorably pretty! He's so heroic! She's the best friend a girl could ask for! What's not to love?

Watch this scene and just try to tell me, in all seriousness, that your heart doesn't break. JUST TRY.


2. The Breaking Dawn Soundtrack. Don't hate. (And CPs, prepare yourselves, you're all getting a burned copy for Christmas. I'm an evangelist. Love me or leave me.)




Oh! You want my favorite tracks? I thought you'd never ask.
Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years" (makes me think of my mains from THE TRAVELERS, tears my heart out every time.)
Cider Sky's "Northern Lights" (makes me think of the happy times for my MCs in ONE - noticing a pattern here?)
Iron & Wine's "Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Wedding Version" (Guh. Gorgeousness.)

3. Chanukah. 
I'm normally opposed to getting too psyched for Chanukah before, well, Chanukah.
Here's why. Not only is Chanukah eight nights long, but we do pretty much the exact same thing every night. (Light the candles, sing the songs, fumble to pry chocolate coins out of their foil wrappers before the children eat us instead.) So, my fear is that the kids will get all blase about Chanukah by, like, night five, and by the end of it, they'll just kind of lay on the carpet, stare at the menorah, and say, "Oh, that again?"  (Remember, my kids are only 4, 3, and 18 months, so I don't have decades of experience here.)

In past years, I haven't hauled The Chanukah Box out of storage until the day of candlelighting #1. But this Wednesday (T-13 days till Chanukah) my doula called looking for some dreidels for a Boy Scout thing, and I was set to facilitate a Chanukah prep program for area interfaith families that required I bring my own menorah, so I had to crack The Box open way early.

Of course the kids hover over any box to come out of storage, sweet little vultures that they are. Their chubby hands hauled out the glittered Jewish-star garland from preschool last year, dreidels in all shapes and sizes, our copy of "A Rugrats Chanukah," every Chanukah toy on the face of the planet, and all ten million of our Chanukah books, along with copious amount of wintertide cheer. As I watched my them spend hours (seriously! hours!) stuffing candles in  the plush menorah and flipping wooden latkes, and then poring over THE RUNAWAY DREIDEL and CHANUKAH BUGS, my heart grew three sizes and I let them keep all the stuff out for a few days.

And of course, now I'm kind of obsessed with Chanukah too. Two weeks too early. Oh well.

Here's a shot from last year at our house, in case you want to catch the Chanukah warm-fuzzies too.
IMG_6450


Okay, my dears, it's your turn. What were you obsessed with this week?

10 comments:

  1. Any excuse to obsess over Prince Charming, huh? :)

    I need to think on my Friday obsessions. I feel like this week FLEW by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay.. I have NOT watched that show... but that clip?? you might have just convinced me to do it.. oh my dear universe, he is soooooo dreamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsession #1: The music of AEROSMITH! N' by that I mean especially "Dream On" which I play each n' every single day, to inspire me to march boldly forward and ROCK MY WORLD. ㋡

    Obsession #2: THIS BLOG! I am so so so HOOKED! N' bless you for the hug for your new followers, from me, a newbie! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Prince Charming/Snow White Story line! I was just saying how it was my fave and that I love how independent/kick-butt/cool Snow White is in the fantasy story line and the unique spin of Prince Charming and Snow White. (Maybe I'll have to write a blog post on this...) Makes me excited for the two Snow White movies coming out next year; hopefully they'll be just as cool/kick-butt worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to love Once Upon a Time. I tried so hard. But they were so negative on the adoption and foster care world. I know so many people who have adopted and who have been or are foster parents. A baby found on the side of the road would not have gone into the "system" and been passed around from family to family. She would have been adopted and adored and loved. (I have a baby niece who was recently adopted. Trust me on this one.) And making the boy's adoptive mother the wicked queen? I just couldn't love it. What a slam on adoptive parents everywhere.

    Believe it or not, my obsession isn't adoption. :) It's getting through my new WIP. Second draft. Deep breath. Quit stalling. Back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh!!!! They are so cute lighting the candles!!

    (Since I haven't blogged in forever and feel like I should, I'm stealing your Friday Obsessions idea today.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're doing some remodeling, and this week I'm obsessed with painting. I always forget how much I enjoy painting--altering the look of a place, being able to see the progress (unlike writing), the rhythmic motion. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not watched that show. I've seen the previews, though.

    I'm obsessed about finishing the edits for my ms. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm obsessed with hammering out my MC's voice. only problem is that I've been swamped this week with manuscripts to read (4 of them, two which were 118k, so it was more like 5), so I haven't been able to write. hence the OBSESSION.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Breaking Dawn soundtrack is SO good! "Northern Lights," "Endtapes," and "Turning Page" are my personal favorites. The movie's are eh, but the soundtracks are always awesome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin